Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yurt

Like most sane people, I have a dream. I want to one day live on a piece of property about 20-30 acres in the country with a bush lot. I want to grow most of my food in a hand tilled garden, I want to have a wind tower to supply all my power. I want to work as a self supported missionary, in northern Canada. And something that I have recently added to my dream is something that may seem a little odd. The contraption is called a yurt, when I first heard of them I only knew them as a thing taht Attila the Hun had lived in, but it is a legit living space here in Canada. The yurt is a circular structure that can be moved ina few days if the mood takes you, can be added to for additional size, as more children come along. and serves as a house does. Of course to accomplish living in one of these one must do away with things that are not needed for living. Well one can dream anyhow.
Here as an image of the inside of a yurt.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. I was wondering what you mean by self-supporting missionary. I assume you mean financially self-supporting. How does that fit in with the New Testament model of missionaries being sent out by a local church? Since you would not require the financial support, would you still have a "sending church?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider perhaps Paul, when he stayed with Aquila and his wife, he worked so that all of his support wasn't from others.
    do you think i meant that i don't want a sending church?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about the yurts... every single member of my family, I kid you not, has built their own house. So I feel some sort of pressure... but I could just build a yurt! And go wherever the wind takes me!

    You should talk to Dave Young. He spoke in chapel last semester. He lives in a yurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually never crossed my mind one way or another if you "wanted" a sending church. I just wanted to know how that would work.

    ReplyDelete