It was this question that has expanded my musical horizons in regards to what I listen to and such. I would read small bio's of bands I liked on wikipedia, this would often list the bands that had been inspiration and I would then read their wiki page. Eventually I wanted more what was the basis for this music. From this I did a brief sketch of its history. From what I could gather, it was from the bluesmen and the jazz cats that any whiff of rock and roll came from, this came to a head in a man, who called his act muddy waters. Of course at this time Elvis and buddy Holly were on the rise as well. From there was inspiration for the Rolling stones and The Who, of course, the beatles were to explode in america. This now into the sixties, has such giants on the American front such as Jimi hendrix and the Doors. From these came once again a giant from across the Atlantic, Led zeppelin. From the influence of Led zeppelin Rock changed its for completely, until billy idol and the sex pistols arrive killing all that was. This formed in an unknown way the small scene taht was to out grow itself in seattle, Grunge: Nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam and others. This was the final volume of Rockology, since there have been minor breakthroughs, with metal, screamo thrash an acoustic revival.
These bands lay the basis for all modern rock, in these bands I have taken an interest, I have read bios of several of the bands to see what the motives were how they worked etc. Why there music was important even when it may not seem impressive today. Take a look at your music, who inspired them why do you like it?

I am familiar with just about all of the bands you mention. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Doors and other bands were part of my life as a child and well before middle school. Funny thing is that now, I don't think of any of them with any kind of nostalgia. Since I became a Christian, I have lost interest in them. I'm definitely not legalistic about music as you know, since my kids listen to that kind of music (and I seem to remember you actually disapproving of them doing so, haha -- how times change), but the older I get the more empty and sad I see their messages.
ReplyDeleteOne must be really discerning in choosing music, because sometimes, the messages aren't great. I find anything past the 70's, when Led Zeppelin was in their heyday, pretty nihilistic.
I'm showing my age, because I find the music that is the most edifying is classical music, because I don't have to hear the words of some drug-induced individual directing my reception of the music. Not saying that rock music is bad, because I have some of it on my iTunes, but I'm very careful about what I put into my mind, even at the advanced age of 45 years old.