Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunshine


I started to feel a shortness of breath as I began to take the concrete steps two at a time, heading up the lighthouse steps, realizing I had descended to far when I noticed an Icon of Jesus healing the centurions servant on the wall to the right. I didn't have to go too badly but I wanted to find the washroom that was "I believe on the 7th floor" of the lighthouse, according to our questionable tour guide who had imparted this knowledge to me while we were at the top level. I finally found it, nestled in an unassuming corner that I had mistaken for an electrical room as I had been descending. I did my business in the somewhat questionable washroom and began heading up once again, at more of a calm pace (partly because I did want to enter where the rest of the group was huffing and puffing) Light filled the spiraling staircase from large winding in the lighthouse allowing sunshine to spill in and illuminate the Gold-leaf Icons on the outside wall of the stair well. There was at least fifty Icons that began with the birth of John the baptist on the first floor of the light house and ended with an icon of the new heavens and new earth in the pinnacle of the light house. It was an interesting experience walking upwards seeing an iconic expression of Christs ministry and seeing the landscape from the top floor of a light house. After this we road down on a cramped elevator and went into the sanctuary of the Church to see all the eastern design, a memorable experience of other traditions in the faith.

2 comments:

  1. That would have been SO COOL to see! I should come on some of these field trips, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's something like 88 icons, of which most of them are pretty awesome. Although it's been a few years since I've been there.

    ReplyDelete